Thursday, February 23, 2017

February's Songs and Poems



Hello families,

This short month has gotten away from me. I thought that I had already made this post, but it looks like I dreamt it...  Sorry!  So this post will be a reminder that on Tuesday, February 28th, at 8:45 am, our class will be performing some of our recent songs and poems for you!  We hope you can join us at drop off time that day!

This month I went with a bird theme, since we are studying tropical birds and also going to Free Flight Sanctuary.

Another reason I choose poems and songs are for spelling patterns that we can internalize through this ritual.  These songs have more words with silent e, more unique spellings and build on last month's -ght usage.

I also chose some for their shortness (to learn more easily in a shorter month) and also because the poem to go with the 100th day of school is longer (100 words!), but the use of rhyming helps with memorization, so the kids are getting it!

Another thing I was thinking about: I re-introduced Haiku, since I wonder if any students might be interested to try their hand at poetry!  If you and your child write some at home, please feel free to send them in to share with the class!

I hope you enjoy this month- I know I have.  Lovely Day has been a hit, and since this is my first year to use it, I'm so happy to see the joy in their faces and to hear how much they love it!  Isn't music amazing?

Have a great weekend, Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment