Thursday, May 30, 2013

What's Happening This Week?

Hello Families!

There is so much happening, we aren't slowing down, even though it's the end of the year!  Here are a few little stories about what has been going on!  Have a great night, Jennifer

Wednesday's Reflections after Open Choice Time
What did you learn from today's open choice time?
What tips can you give now?

Rachel: I learned that using a small brush for watercolor can help you mix in for filling in quickly.
Evelyn: What I learned is when you're mixing colors on your pallet, you don't need to wash your brush.
Ethan:  I learned that 'other' is not a 'u' it's an 'o'.
Brianna: I got almost a lot of writing done, but I drawed first, but I still got a lot of writing.
Lia: What I learned today is how to spell the 'high', not the kind you are saying 'hi' to your friends, the 'high' in the sky.  It's h-i-g-h not h-i.  Because when I was getting feedback, Rachel Lee told me.
Mason: I did a magnet that way on the other side, left right on different sides, so it can stick to the paper. [To make a sign stand up]
Rowan: I learned at watercolor, that mixing you should use a small brush, and if you are doing a big space, you could use a big brush.

We have also seen many new poets emerge recently!  Below you can see four poems that were written by our students.  They are so excited to see others reciting their prose.



One of our songs and poems this month is Stand By Me.  
Here you can see the kids enjoying the music and the sentiment!  




We were also lucky to have Adriana, Evelyn's mum come to share photos and video footage from her time in the Peace Corps in Honduras.  It was quite interesting to see how people live in another country, as well as to see the landscape.  The next day the students took time to use atlases and write about what they learned.















And finally, we played a game today, that you might want to play at home!  It prints out rather easily and supports coin counting practice, as well as practice following a grid. This comes in handy while you are using an atlas, too, since places are listed using coordinates.  If you don't have letter dice, we used a number dice and made it so 1=a, 2=b and so forth.

(I am also including a harder game for you to play over the summer if your child is interested.  This makes for family fun and great practice!  I made copies of this game to put in each of your children's portfolios, which will go home with you at the end of school!)

Here is the link to this week's game...  http://www.mathwire.com/money/cleanupmoneygame.pdf






I hope you each enjoy your night.  Happy Friday!  Love, Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment