Sunday, April 21, 2013

Happy Earth Day!

Hello kindergarten families!

Growing up as a child of hippies, I wanted to share some things that are important to me. There are so many ways to help the environment.  I encourage you to investigate as a family and commit to a few ways you will try to lessen your footprint this year.

Each year I try to choose something I feel I can do, to be more environementally aware.  ONE SMALL STEP AT A TIME!  This year, I am focussing what goes in and on my body.  Not only are processed food not great for your body, but they often come packaged in lots of food for the landfill as well! This may sound odd, but our purchasing choices make a statement, so I am hoping to be supporting more small businesses, and less corporations.  If you want, ask me about the products I have found!

Here are a few ideas:

Carry a reusable bag and try not to purchase bottled water. THIS CAN REDUCE OUR USE OF SINGLE USE PLASTIC!

Support your local farmers market.  THIS CAN KEEP THESE SMALL BUSINESSES GOING WHILE WASTING LESS GAS TO SHIP OUR FOOD TO US.

Buy honey!  BEES HELP POLINATE 75% of our produce, KEEP HIVES ALIVE!

Here is an interesting video for more info.

http://on.aol.com/video/the-importance-of-bee-pollination-517673088





If each if us begin with one focus, we can slowly become a better model as a community. I hope you don't mind that I wrote here, and I would love for you to add comments to share what your family has  done to help the environment!

Have a beatiful night, Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer!
    Brianna and I planted a "Truffula Seed" today. We read the book The Lorax. One of Brianna's favorite books. We had seeds that were labeled "truffula seeds" from a nursey here in poway, but really they are gladiola seeds. We are excited to see what they will look like.
    One of Brianna's ideas to help out with tree population was to drive all over california and plant trees. She also wants to go to New York City "because they have no trees there, only buildings."
    I thought a road trip up to North Cal in the summer would be a great time to plant the trees she desires to plant. We shall see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't figure out how to attach pictures?

      Delete